Advance Typography/Task 3

 

Week 8- 14
Justin Averill Prasetya / 0355048
 / BDCM / The Design School

LECTURES:  Exercise 1


INSTRUCTIONS



<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i_7TCaR0zDuioHwXEFvKjRyJl0O7AFcm/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


Week 8 \ Type Exploration and Application

Explore the use of an existing letterform in an area of interest,
understand its existing relationship, identify areas that could be
improved upon, explore possible solutions or combinations that
may add value to the existing letterform/lettering. End result: a
complete generated font (.ttf) with applications.

With this purpose, i came up with 2 concepts that i found interesting
Fig 1.1.1 Fig 1.1.3 ( Week 9 )
Concept 1: I decided to use the nct logo as a reference because it's interesting and it serves a purpose of a display font, I tried to improve the font by simply ass more elements to it and tried to make it less condensed and squarish. I decided to make it as an album cover because sticks to their original purpose. 

Fig 1.1.2 Fig 1.1.3 ( Week 9 )
Concept 2: I took the reference from the font that's used for silver wolf in honkai star rail, Pixel font is one of my favorites in this case because it's so simplistic yet there are so many details i need to work on manually, and hard to make it consistent. For this one, i decide to stick with the original form and not change anything

I decided to do the nct one after get some feedback from mr vinod I realize that there are so many inconsistencies on this typeface and also there are some parts that are still constructed poorly
Fig 1.1.3 ( Week 10 )
First, try, the k is awkward, and still too many unnecessary elements

Fig 1.1.4   ( Week 10 )
First Uppercase Draft
There are soo many inconsistencies and also there's some sort of problem with the T, X, T, and Z because it doesn't look right, I need to find a way to apply the thick and thin strokes.

Fig 1.1.5  ( Week 11 )
First Uppercase and lowercase draft
Mr Vinod said that he was fine with the design but I forgot to use the right sizing and also forgot to apply the baseline and ascender for the lowercase
Fig 1.2.1 Final number ( Week 12 )
Fig 1.2.2 Final Punctuation  ( Week 12 )
I took the reference from the uppercase and the lowercase and combine it

Final Outcome
Fig 1.2.3 ( Week 12 )
 I decided to fix most of the uppercase and make the lowercase into a ascender and baseline 
it looks better that way. 

Fig 1.2.3 (PDF) ( Week 12 )

Fontlab Process
I decide to use FontLab on Mac lab because it's much easier than font forge and more flexible
Fig 1.3.1 (Week 13)
 
Fig 1.3.2 (Week 13)
Fig 1.3.3 (Week 13)

I need to go to the lab for several days to work on the kerning.
Fig 1.3.4 (Week 13)

Fig 1.3.5 
(Week 13)

Finalized






 Final Fig 1.4.1-9 ( Week 14)

Final PDF


Fig 1.4.10( Week 14)

Final Application

Fig 1.4.11




FEEDBACK

Week 9: It is necessary to redesign the letterform in an original approach that hasn't been done previously. Do as much research as you can to produce the greatest outcome.

General:

Week 10: My Typefaces need more well build, and consistent, there are some parts that look not well made but I can fix them and make them consistent

General:

Week 11: I had the wrong size and for the design had no problem

General:


REFLECTIONS

Experience
This is the second time I learned about typefaces, I experience a bit of struggle in making it consistent, also finding a typeface that's legible, and trying to evade ambiguity in this typeface for example my 5 and S are a bit the same so it would be confusion that's the hard part, but i also learn how to keep it didn't look awkward and stick into the identity.

Observation 
After a bit of research and observation, I found out that every typeface has its own aesthetics and uniqueness but you also can make it different without any limitations as long it has these 5 rules, baseline, x-height, ascender, descender, and cap-height. it would make a lot of difference.

Findings
I had a lot of trouble regarding the 0, O, and S,5 but after I observe it's a completely different shape, the S and 5 had different curves and sides, also for the o and 0 I just realize that 0 is a bit oval different than O.


FURTHER READING

Fig 1.4.1

After further reading of this book, I just found out that typography played an important part in our User Interface ecosystem. every detail of a typeface represents the brand identity of an application that we use every day, every typeface had its own purpose in ui design that can help to attract the user to use the application. Typography would never be replaced by anything else because it's the base of every design that exist right now.


Comments

Popular Posts