Advance Typography Task 2

Week 5-
Justin Averill Prasetya / 0355048
 / BDCM / The Design School

LECTURES:  Exercise 1


INSTRUCTIONS



<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i_7TCaR0zDuioHwXEFvKjRyJl0O7AFcm/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>


Week 5 \ Key Artwork

Part 1: Key Artwork

What is a Key Artwork? In the context of this task, the key
artwork is a wordmark/lettering but is also an artwork. As a
wordmark/lettering, it is used to identify a person and 
as artwork that might adorn a lapel pin/T-shirt/poster (collateral). 
The key artwork can be disassembled into
constituent shapes to form vibrant patterns that continue to
maintain and expand its visual identity.

For this task were required to make a key artwork based on our representations and purpose, I made this 5 different concept key artworks:
Fig 1.1.1(very first draft) (Week 5)

Fig 1.1.2 (First Draft) (Week 5)


After feedback from my friends and by looking at these criteria
KEY ARTWORK
1. Does the key artwork symbolically/creatively represent the person?
2. Is the key artwork readable and legible?
2. Does the key artwork look well crafted (lines/shapes)?
3. Does the key artwork look like a logo—is it free-standing (w/background)?
4. Is there a good balance between negative and positive space?
5. Is there unnecessary use of non-objective elements?

, I came up with an improvement on the simplistic concept that I made like a logo, Also when I ask Mr. Vinod, I need to come up with a purpose so I started trying to represent what I related to
Fig 1.1.3 (Week 6)
I started to experiment with what I started with and came up with this JA
Fig 1.1.4 ( standart ) (Week 6)
Fig 1.1.5 ( Stretched )  (Week 6)
the key artwork looks like a paperclip because I felt like this represents me. A paperclip is used for attaching paper or I can say information, same as me who also try to find a new source of information and implement or combine it with another.

Fig 1.1.6  (Week 7)
but this one I can't find a purpose for why I choose this 

So i decided to come up with something traditional and classy, I took my inspiration from my tradition in Jogja which is batik and i've live in Lampung for almost 5 years during elementary school and the most interesting part about Lampung was the elephant.

The concept was to combine both and also i did a research for a type of batik that i use for reference but ended up combining all of it.

Fig 1.2.1 (1st Attempt)  (Week 7)
This one was unclear and not legible I decided to rethink the position of the i and make the husk for the j more clear 
Final Attempt
Fig 1.2.2 ( More Clear And Legible)  (Week 8)

Final Key Artwork PDF

Fig 1.2.3 (Week 8)

Part 2: Collateral

You are tasked to design a t-shirt, lapel pin, an animated key artwork, and an Instagram account (or as instructed in class) transforming the key artwork into a brand. Students will work on the animated key artwork first and fine-tune the outcomes before going on to the other collateral material: a t-shirt, lapel pin, and finally an Instagram account. The output must result from in-depth exploration and must communicate both visually and textually the desired message and mood set by the key artwork and its function.

Collateral: Animated Key Artwork (800/1024 px, height, and width; Gif format), use mock-ups to simulate the printing of the collateral. If instructed, you will be required to print the collateral.

1st Attempt 

Fig 1.3.1 (Week 8)
This one had too much use of my key artwork and soo messy 

 Fig 1.3.2 (Final Gif) (Week 8)
After i reconsider the placement and add the gif I finalize it with this
Color pallets

Fig 1.3.3 (Week 8)
Color also plays a big part in this representation, i use orange and green because it gave a feel of home, especially since green reminds me of sawah but i took the darker one to make it more serious.

Progress:
I decided to use ai because i can compile the entire artwork into one and can make a continuous post using it.
Fig 1.3.4 (Week 8)
Fig 1.3.5 (Week 8)

Final

I decide to make it 2 sided up and down with the 2 color palettes and balance it in the middle
Fig 1.3.5  (Week 8)


Final Pdf
Fig 1.3.6 (Week 8)
Final Post






Fig 1,3,7-14 (Week 8)


FEEDBACK
Week 5:
Specific: My key artwork doesn't clear enough and has too many unnecessary elements, my key artwork seems like doesn't have goals, NO MEANING General: Try to find what I want to represent


Week 6:
Specific: My key artwork doesn't give a clear purpose and is not readable
General: Try to find what I want to represent

Week 7:
Specific: The artwork doesn't legible and my poster needs a more small icon
General: Try to find what I want to represent


REFLECTIONS

Experience
I found it interesting making my own brand identity, at first i found it struggling how to make it represents me after 6 tries and 6 key artwork i found 2 things that i can interpret on my key artwork first is batik from my origin in java Indonesia and the second one was an elephant which is my representation of lampung one of places that i ever live. 

Observation
Its hard to make it legible but aesthetic at the same time. All I tried was to balance it and make it legible whether you put it on a t-shirt or just be a steady logo. Color also plays a big part in this representation, i use orange and green because it gave a feel of home, especially since green reminds me of sawah but i took the darker one to make it more serious.

Findings
I found it hard to thing how can the key artwork be legible in any medium but i found it also it fun to find out how we can interpret ourself to a logo that we can use for our branding.



FURTHER READING

Fig 1.4.1
Reading this book made me realize that typography was a big deal to user interface and also a big part of user experience. The placement and how can typography interpret something in this digital world was impactful and helpful for the future of mobile UI/UX, I did choose this book because I took UI/UX so maybe it can help me reach my goals of designing apps.


Comments

Popular Posts